Sunday 3 April 2011

Where can we go from England? - Update

Thanks for the suggestions Aly.  I thought they were worthy of an update blog entry.  I've copied the comments below.

I've been to Amsterdam and loved it.  I'll certainly have to take Mick there (Holland is half my family heritage).  We will have to choose the right time to visit the Keukenhof.  What a sight that was!  I'll also have to make sure he sees Helsinki in Finland (the other half of my family heritage).

And, a personal "must see" are the Northen Lights.  I've watched the Joanna Lumley DVD of her journey to see the Northern Lights about 5 times.  I'd love to see Tromso and where the Samis live, and also Rovaniemi in Finland (who wouldn't want to visit Father Christmas!)


Bruges is also well worth a visit.  I've been there very briefly once but would like more time to look around.  Vienna is a great suggestion too - and somewhere I've never been.  Plus... I'd like to do a train trip through the Swiss Alps.

Scotland is definitely on the agenda and also Ireland, but these would be by car rather than flying there.

So here's a list that we'll be able to choose from when looking for cheap flights!
Paris
Amsterdam
Helsinki
Bruges
Venice
Rome
Zurich


Alleycat said...
Hi Elly & Mick, here are some places for consideration: Amsterdam is a great city (and full of canals!), in fact lots of Holland is lovely and the bulbfields are worth seeing just for the sheer scale of them and the flower auctions. I haven't been to Bruges myself but I know people who have any they give it rave reviews - it's Belgium's equivalent of Venice. Switzerland is amazing - all of it although the area around Lake Lugano is a personal favourite. I recently went to Slovakia on business and was impressed with Bratislava, the capital, it has a really nice old town. It's not far from the Austrian border and only 45mins by boat from Brat to Vienna. Have you noticed a water theme going on here?!! Regards Aly
Alleycat said...
Ooooh - I forgot to give Scotland a mention! Dramatic scenery and lots of lochs full of well, water! And they have a very big canal..... Regards Aly
Tom and Jan said...
Qantas FF points. What a good idea and why didn't I think of using them in Europe? OK it will cost 5000 points just to make the booking but we should have sufficient points for at least one flight. Thank for the idea! Tom & Jan

No comments: