Wednesday 8 January 2014

Wheels

Yesterday we went shopping with Barry and Carol. I made sure to get some work in first.... its a little more difficult when we have the car available to go out whenever we like.  When we got back we saw a gathering in one of the cedar huts. Boaters afternoon tea! Never mind, there's always next week.  The others have been meeting in The Royal Exchange the last few weeks in lieu of the cedar hut while the marina has been open every day. We've not joined them... we are watching our budget a little more closely.  It seems the cedar hut is back in action.

What a difference it makes to have a car.  We decided that we've been too lazy since we've had it and that we would have a walk into Stone today. I worked this morning and after lunch we headed off. It was dry when we left and it was a nice walk. We bumped into Andy and Jean who were on their way back to the marina and had a chat. I posted a couple of cards and a parcel to my nieces and then we sat down at Costa for a coffee.  It was pouring rain when we left and we got back to the boat a bit dishevelled having walked the whole way in the wind and rain.

At the post office there was a little surprise. My niece, Minka, sent me a message the other day saying she was sending a letter but the envelope they handed me was posted from Oz on 18th December. It was a lovely to get letters and cards and pictures from the girls and a real treat : an Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine. I will have hours of happy reading! Thanks Katrina!  The most expensive magazine ever... the postage was horrendous.

Tonight we had a go at another recipe from the £5 recipe mag. We haven't eaten yet so I can't report on what it's like but it involved removing foil from the baking dish and baking a further half hour. I just went to the oven to take out the dish so we could eat and the gas bottle has run out..... probably  about 2 minutes after I took the foil off. I could pick the dish up with my bare hands!! We are now waiting another half hour, having changed over gas bottles.  It's all part of to fun of living on a narrowboat.



No comments: