Tuesday 2 April 2013

Finally cruising

Aston Marina to Weston on Trent : 5 miles, 1 lock
To date : 141 miles, 106 locks, 20 lift bridges, 7 tunnels, 6 aqueducts

We woke this morning excited about leaving... feeling a little bit of trepidation about unplugging from the conveniences of the marina... and... I've got Mick's cold and feel rotten.  We did the last minute chores : water, rubbish, take down the chimney and tv aerial, unplug the electricity lead, fold down the pram cover and finally it was time to leave. 

It was a cold morning so we donned hats, gloves, scarves and coats.  Once we were out on the cut the wind really picked up and goodness it was freezing.  It's the coldest I've felt since arriving in the UK.  I'm sure having a cold didn't help the situation.

I'd had a text message from Gil on nb Shoehorn saying they were moored up not all that far away and would be on their way back to the marina today.  We looked out for them and slowed down for a quick chat and farewell as we slowly cruised past.  We also saw nb Foxglove so said a brief farewell to Claire and Roy too.

Our goal was Weston which was an easy couple of hours away with just one lock.  There were a few boats on the move.  There was only one boat moored on the visitor moorings so we had a good choice and it's a lovely place to moor.  It took just a few minutes to have the pram cover back up.  We're both so glad we have it now and the ease if putting it up and down is a pleasant surprise.  It has made a big difference to the warmth at the back of the boat.  Less heat escapes from the bedroom.

We had lunch once we were sorted but I just couldn't get warm.  With a pounding head I eventually gave in and went to have a lie down while Mick went off to buy free range eggs from a house that had a sign facing the canal.

It just felt so good to be out today, despite the cold.  We feel like we're finally doing what we came here to do.

Mick added another "in the drink" to his collection.  Today it was the colander.  He held it out the galley window to bang a few bits of potato off and somehow let it go.  It floated so he went out and got it.  I disinfected it!

Photos of our big day out :
1. A cold farewell to ourselves!
2. Making our way out of the mooring
3. Looking back - our empty slot on the left and nb Winton's Folly's spot on the right
4. Off we go
5. Looks great with snow along the fencelines
6. Bridge 82 is a pretty one
7. And from the other side
8. Spectators
9. There we are on the left
10. Looking left
11. Looking right
12. For Claudia, Mum and Bernice


 In the drink to date : Elly - phone charger (retrieved - it floated!), Mick - sunglasses, Mick - hearth brush, Mick - mooring hook (retrieved with sea searcher), Mick - reading glasses, Mick - drill bit (retrieved with sea searcher), Mick - ash bucket, Mick - dishbrush, Mick - colander (retrieved - it floated)


Sue said...

Welcome to the cut proper you two.. enjoy :-)

Elly and Mick said...

Thanks Sue. It's great to finally be out here! Those 6 short weeks when we first arrived only gave us a taste of what was to come.